The history of the Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral located in the City of Winnipeg, Manitoba dates back to 1945 but the land was not purchased until 1946. In September of 1949, the site of the new cathedral was blessed and construction began with the basement of the cathedral being operable for the public in 1952.
Officially completed in 1962, the Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral was opened by the Primate (Ivan Ohienko), the highest order of bishop of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. The facade is extremely colorful representing the Holy Trinity and the cathedral is the Primatial Throne of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada which also has cathedrals in Saskatoon, Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto and Montreal. ... continue below the picture...
When visiting Winnipeg City, it is hard to bypass the colorful facade of the cathedral and its massive spires adorned in black, white and gold.
Facade of the Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral, City of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.