Fort Amherst is a historic place located along St John's Harbour on the Avalon Peninsula in Newfoundland Labrador where defense from the German u-boats was set up during World War II. The Fort Amherst light along the Saint John's Harbour was first erected here in 1813, operating until 1835 where it watched over these waters.
The year 1852 saw the life of a new light at Fort Amherst which operated until 1952 until the destruction of the building which came about in order for the current structure to be built. The bright red and white structure overlooks the mouth of St. John's Harbour where the historic ruins of Fort Amherst can be explored.
While driving along the coastal road in Fort Amherst on the Avalon Peninsula in Newfoundland Labrador, the light will come into view. ... continue below the picture...
... There is a parking lot which leads to the short walk heading to the light and the scenery of this coastal region.
Fort Amherst Light along Fort Amherst Road in St John's Harbour, St John's Bay, Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland, Newfoundland Labrador, Canada.