At the entrance to Lighthouse Harbour in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, the historic building which houses the Louisbourg Light is found. The light atop the lighthouse can be seen for 18 miles and the first light was supplied from codfish oil in a bronze basin which was fed through pipes into a copper ring to the wicks which created the flame.
The lighthouse was first constructed in 1730 to aid in the navigation to the Fortress of Louisbourg, but it was not completely finished until 1734. In 1736, the lantern was demolished by a fire but was replaced by 1738 and then again in 1758 it was badly damaged.
The second lighthouse was built in 1842 with the addition of a fog horn building in 1902. In 1922, the lighthouse was destroyed again by a fire but the remains can still be seen by visitors who come to Lighthouse Point in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.... continue below the picture...
Today, the octagonal concrete lighthouse is still adorned in some of its beauty from 1923 and has become a popular lookout point for tourists to Cape Breton. Situated at its current location since 1923, the Louisbourg Light has watched over these waters flashing every ten seconds. The Louisbourg Light is a historic lighthouse and is one of the first lighthouses put in place throughout Canada.
Louisbourg Light at the entrance to the Louisbourg Harbour, Lighthouse Point, Louisbourg, Highway 22, Fleur de lis Trail, Marconi Trail, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada. The current light was constructed in the 1920's. The second light was erected in 1842, and the first was built in the 19th century.