Located on the site of the old Fort Amherst, this lighthouse can be seen while driving along the south side road along the St John's Harbour on the Avalon Peninsula in Newfoundland, Canada. First erected in 1813 and operating until 1835 by volunteers, the Fort Amherst Lighthouse watched over these harbour waters.
Replaced in 1852 by a new lighthouse which survived until 1952 when the structure was destroyed in order to make a home for the newest lighthouse. Fort Amherst was built in the 1770's, long before the lighthouse, to defend the entrance to the harbour. During World War II, gun placements were installed along the harbour to ensure the safety of Saint John's from the German u-boats. ... continue below the picture...
Today, the lighthouse is a prominent landmark atop the cliff overlooking St. John's Harbour on the Avalon Peninsula in Newfoundland displaying its bright red and white hues. A two sided staircase leads to the doorway of the lighthouse which will take one up to the outside balcony located at the top.
Visitors to Fort Amherst will find the lighthouse, a few houses and the ancient gun emplacements. The lighthouse has been automated for many years and the houses, once home to the lighthouse keepers, have been renovated to save these historic structures.
To reach the Fort Amherst Lighthouse and to view the remnants of the fort, one must park on the Southside Road in St. John's Harbour and walk about 700 meters to its location.
Fort Amherst Lighthouse along Fort Amherst Road in St John's Harbour, St John's Bay, Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland, Newfoundland Labrador, Canada.