A green painted wagon with spoked wheels was used by the North West Mounted Police who resided at Fort Walsh in 1875 and later this area was a horse breeding ranch occupied by the police. Behind the wagon, white buildings are scattered across the landscape which were used for the horses as these were their stables.
In 1883, the North West Mounted Police abandoned the area and relocated to Regina but Fort Walsh reopened in 1942 to raise the police horses which continued until 1968. This wagon and others similar to it, were used to transport hundreds of pounds of goods to various locations.
In 1968, Fort Walsh was declared a National Historic Site and visitors to Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park in Saskatchewan, Canada can tour the area and relive a part of Canada's history. The wagon and horse stables are just a small piece of the attractions at the Fort Walsh National Historic Site.... continue below the picture...
Wagon outside the stables at Fort Walsh National Historic Site, Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park, Saskatchewan, Canada.