Back in 1860, the historic Cape St. Mary's Lighthouse was established and watched over the waters off the Avalon Peninsula in Newfoundland, Canada. Two dwellings were attached to the brick tower lighthouse which was cased in concrete in 1871 and in iron in 1885.
The Cape St. Mary's Lighthouse is located at the east entrance to St. Mary's Bay and the tower stands at 29 feet and the light being situated at 104 feet. Today, the Cape St. Mary's Lighthouse still watches over the treacherous waters off the Avalon Peninsula in Newfoundland and flashes every 5 seconds which can be seen for 21 nautical miles.
The historic building in the background was once home to the lighthouse keeper but has since been redecorated and opened to the public as an Interpretive Centre.... continue below the picture...
Cape St Mary's Lighthouse at the Cape St Mary's Ecological Reserve, Cape St Mary's, also known as The Cape, Highway 100, The Cape Shore, Placentia Bay, Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland, Newfoundland Labrador, Canada.