In the downtown core of Saint John, New Brunswick, Kings Square is a central location where people come to enjoy a summer day amongst a two-story bandstand, trees, flower beds and a variety of monuments.
The monument in this picture is named the Young Memorial which was erected in 1893 and has become an important landmark in the downtown core where visitors take pictures and read of its history.
The first record of Kings Square was back in 1784 and in 1835, the square was in shambles as people used this area as a place to sink public wells, ox roasting and for butchers to slaughter their cattle. In 1884, plans were made for Kings Square to put in posts, chains, walkways, a fountain, grass and trees which were underway shortly after.... continue below the picture...
In 1908, the bandstand was put in place followed in 1910 by the Tilley Monument and in later years, the War Memorial, The Loyalist Cross and The Gorman Monument. By 1963, benches, parking meters, sidewalks and creative landscaping was done creating the beauty of what Kings Square is today.
Kings Square is the symbolic heart of the downtown area of Saint John, New Brunswick and each monument and structure create a strong civic presence. This has become an important part of the city and is visited by thousands of tourists every year.
Monument in Kings Square, downtown Saint John, Bay of Fundy, Fundy Coastal Drive, Highway 1, New Brunswick, Canada.