Along the coastal shore at the entrance to Louisbourg Harbour in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia stands the first lighthouse erected in Canada. The light was first illuminated in 1734 spanning a distance of 18 miles.
A supply of codfish oil was used to make the light shine but two years later, a fire destroyed it and a replacement light was used until 1798, that one being demolished. Another lighthouse with a wooden frame was erected in 1842 but it was burnt in a fire in 1923 with another one quickly being rebuilt and the light was lit in 1924.
The lighthouse stands upon the rocky coastal shores where the scenic views look out over Louisbourg harbour and the rolling waves of the Atlantic Ocean.
Louisbourg Light at the entrance to the Louisbourg Harbour, Lighthouse Point, Louisbourg, Highway 22, Fleur de lis Trail, Marconi Trail, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada.